Number of photos in today’s post will probably be proportional to the amount of work put into sewing on these ribbons 😛 I mostly sew for myself but sometimes it’s nice to make an exception, and try to materialize someone else’s idea. This skirt was a pretty big challenge, but also a creative and fun experience.
The model of the skirt isn’t difficult – an asymmetric half circle, but sewing on the ribbons running diagonally to the straight grain of the fabric – is a completely different story! To facilitate the task, I added lines to the pattern where the ribbons should be placed, and the temporary fabric adhesive was very helpful in this project. At the end I gave the skirt a good press, and I managed to tame unruly fibers of the fabric.
Sewing on the ribbons unfortunately stiffened a little the whole skirt , but it was a small compromise in order to achieve the effect of lines extending from the waist. The skirt’s look had to relate to the folk style, so I decided to add a cotton lace.
And finally a few photos on the owner. The skirt was sewn as a “stage costume”, and I think it does its job well.